John Bishop (1970)
John has a mixed common law practice and has accumulated a wealth of experience during the course of his extraordinarily varied career at the Bar. He has appeared at every level of the civil and criminal courts of England and Wales, including the High Court, Court of Appeal and House of Lords. He has also appeared in various professional regulatory tribunals (including the Law Society and General Medical Council) and Parliamentary Enquiries. He has a particular interest in private commercial litigation and is available to take instructions on a direct access basis.
Commercial & Civil Litigation, Property, Regulatory, Crime.
Commercial & Civil Litigation
Contract; tort; partnership and professional negligence.
Building and boundary disputes, residential service charge disputes.
John has extensive experience of local authority work, including licensing and food safety and planning enforcement.
Notable cases include:
- Canterbury City Council v Ali [2013[ EWHC 2360 (Admin) – the Magistrates erred in law by basing their decision on a taxi driver’s appeal against the revocation of his licence on an adverse review of the local authority’s decision-making process rather than coming to their own independent conclusion.
John has many years’ experience both prosecuting and defending in the Crown Court and Central Criminal Court (including murder, serious fraud, major drugs importation, etc.) and defending at the Courts Martial in the United Kingdom, Germany and Brunei.
Notable cases include:
- R v Young 78 Crim. App. R. 288 – self-induced intoxication is no defence within s.28 Misuse of Drugs Act 1971
- R v Inner London Crown Court ex p Baines & Baines (a firm)  3 All ER 1025 – conveyancing documents are not privileged and are therefore liable to a production order under PACE. Laundering of proceeds of the Brinks-Mat robbery.
- R v Pearce  Crim L.R. 442 CA – real property bought solely to facilitate production of controlled drugs not liable to forfeiture.
Before embarking on a career at the Bar, John was a law lecturer at several colleges in London.
Interests & Commitments
John’s interests include photography and antiquarian books.
Qualifications & Awards
- LLB (Hons) (Lond)
- Public Access
- Middle Temple
- Lincoln’s Inn (Ad Eundem)
- South Eastern Circuit