Members of the Regulatory Team take on a broad range of work in the regulatory field representing both enforcement authorities and defending individuals and companies before the Magistrates Court and regulatory bodies and on appeal to the High Court.
Our barristers have a particular specialism in professional disciplinary proceedings concerning fitness to practise.
The sectors covered by the Regulatory Team include:
- Healthcare – General Dental Council; Health and Care Professionals Council; Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (formerly the General Medical Council); Nursing and Midwifery Council.
- Legal – Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal; Solicitors Regulation Authority investigations.
- Local Government – Council Tax; Environmental Protection Act; Food Safety & Hygiene; Licensing; Non-Domestic Rates; Child Support.
- Financial Services – Financial Conduct Authority proceedings under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000
- HMRC – civil recovery proceedings under Part 5 of the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
Our notable decisions include:
- Downes v Commissioners of HM Customs & Excise  EWHC 2022 (Ch)
- Sarkar v General Medical Council (Fitness to Practice Panel)  EWHC 4008 (Admin)
- Canterbury City Council v Ali  EWHC 2360 (Admin)
- R (Osammor) v Nursing & Midwifery Council  4148 (Admin)
- Solicitors Regulation Authority v Uddin  EWHC 4553 (Admin)
- Okunlola v Nursing and Midwifery Council  EWHC 2456 (Admin)
- Enemuwe v Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)  EWHC 1881 (Admin)